Your general purpose in an informative speech is to inform
Your specific purpose relates to your topic and to the specific information you want to convey.
The specific purpose of a speech is its goal, stated in a complete sentence. If the general
purpose of your speech is to inform, then your specific purpose will be a statement of the
particular information you will present to the audience.
Example: Joel’s general purpose in his speech about place-kicking is to inform. His specific
purpose could be stated in a complete sentence. “I want to explain the steps in soccer-style
place – kicking.”
1. Express the specific purpose as a declarative sentence.
2. State the specific purpose precisely. “I want to explain the four steps in soccer-style place – kicking.”
3. Make sure the specific purpose contains only one idea.
4. Include words in the specific purpose that show your intent. Examples: explain, show, give
Writing a Thesis Statement
A thesis statement is a complete sentence that expresses the speaker’s most important
idea, or key point, about a topic. A thesis statement guides the development of a speech
1. Specific purpose : “I want to explain the characteristics of the six major classifications of show dogs.”
Thesis statement: “Show dogs are classified according to their characteristics as
hounds, terriers, working dogs, toys, sporting dogs, and non sporting dogs.
2. Specific purpose: “I want to convince the class that they should read “To Kill a Moc kingbird.”
Thesis statement: “To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent book to read because it features interesting characters, thought -provoking issues, and an exciting plot.”
If you already know a great deal about your topic, you can write your thesi
s statement at this stage of your planning. For most speeches, however, you will need to do some research first.
Subject Area: football
Limited Topic : soccer-style place-kicking
General Purpose: to inform
Specific Purpose: I want to explain the four steps in soccer-style place -kicking.
Thesis Statement: The four steps in soccer-style place -kicking are to spot the ball, to mark off
the steps, to approach the ball, and to kick the ball.
You need to find information to support your main idea as expressed in your thesis statement. The types of details commonly used to support a thesis include facts, opinions, examples, illustrations, anecdotes, statistics, comparisons, definitions, descriptions, and quotations